Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date: 2007-01-28 04:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Jan 28, 2007, at 11:25 , Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>> Not so great.  SQL:2003 has a special meaning for the word "module."
>
> Yeah I saw mention of that in another thread, but I really didn't like
> the word plugins. Do you have another thought? Extensions?

"Extensions" would tie in nicely with its common use in the docs,
especially wrt pgxs:

PostgreSQL can be extended by the user in many ways ...
PostgreSQL also accepts escape string constants, which are an
extension to the SQL standard
To use the infrastructure for your extension ...
Here is an example that builds an extension module ...
They test standard SQL operations as well as the extended
capabilities of PostgreSQL.

The pgxs docs do use "module" as well, but as previously mentioned
module already has a particular meaning in the spec.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net