Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease

From: Bernd Helmle <bernd(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
Date: 2007-07-16 15:52:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

--On Montag, Juli 16, 2007 08:22:43 -0400 "Jonah H. Harris"
<jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 7/16/07, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> How are necessarily incompatible features such as the empty string vs.
>> null handled?
>
> In some of the Oracle-specific compatibility functions, we work around
> stuff like NULL-concatenation. But PostgreSQL's method is maintained
> and the default.

But the real interesting parts are NULL-handling emulation which affects
unique index behavior (yes i know this is bad style, but i saw it quite
often) and/or NULL comparisons. What about OUTER JOIN syntax, PL/SQL? I
mean, that's what i'd expect from an oracle compatible database layer and i
was always under the impression that's what EDB wants to deliver.

(Don't get me wrong, i don't want to be rude, it's just out of curiousity)

--
Bernd