Re: More than one installation on the same machine

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jay R <jaysjaded(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More than one installation on the same machine
Date: 2003-07-26 14:00:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
Jay R <jaysjaded(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I've installed 7.3 in its own directory, using the
> default configuration parameters, and I gather from
> the 7.3 documentation that I need to start it up on a
> different port and provide a different socket to point
> DBI::Pg at.  (7.2 has port 5432 and a socket in /tmp)
>  But I couldn't figure out quite how to do it, based
> on the documentation.

Use "-D dir" or set $PGDATA to point initdb at a nonstandard data
directory.  Then start the new postmaster with the same switch or
environment, plus a "-p port" switch (or instead of -p, set the port
number in postgresql.conf).

Client-side code will also need to be pointed at that port.  If you were
using libpq-derived code you could handle this transparently by setting
$PGPORT in the client ennvironment, but I forget whether that works for
DBI::Pg.