Strongly typed?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Strongly typed?
Date: 2009-03-13 14:50:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm moving from PostgreSQL 8.2.4 to PostgreSQL 8.3.6. When I restore
the databases from the old instance to the new one, I get a lot of
errors where the data types in keys don't match, e.g. the data type is
integer in the base file but defined as numeric in the file that it is
linked to. These are running databases so this situation must have
been negotiated by 8.2 but not my 8.3. Is this something relatively
new that I'm encountering, or is there a parameter someplace that I
have set too tightly.

BTW, I do see the value of the stronger typing; I just need to figure
out what to do to get these user's data to the new instance.

Thanks,
Carol