Re: OIDs as keys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "daniel alvarez" <d-alvarez(at)gmx(dot)de>,"Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OIDs as keys
Date: 2003-02-27 07:06:08
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> The patch I submitted did not include OID stuff, I decided that it's better
> to submit orthogonal patches :)

Right.  But the problem with switching the OID default is not a matter
of code --- it's of working out what the compatibility issues are.
As I recall, one thing people did not want was for pg_dump to plaster
WITH OIDS or WITHOUT OIDS on every single CREATE TABLE, as this would
pretty much destroy any shot at loading PG dumps into any other
database.  What we need is an agreement on the behavior we want (making
the best possible compromise between this and other compatibility
desires).  After that, the actual patch is probably trivial, while in
advance of some consensus on the behavior, offering a patch is a waste
of time.