problems getting a module installed

From: lchan(at)ssl(dot)berkeley(dot)edu (lchan)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problems getting a module installed
Date: 2003-01-27 21:12:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,
I was reading about querying arrays in postgres and that if I
wanted greater power to query arrays of unknown size, that I would
have to use the *= operator and that I would have to install the
/contrib/array module to do so. I went to /contrib/array and ran,
"make" and "make instal". Then I restarted the pgsql service (service
postgresql restart). Then I went to a preexisting database and
created a test table:

create table test ("index" int, "values" int[]) ;

populated it:

insert into test values (1, '{1,2,3,4,5}') ;

and then ran a query on it:

select * from test where values *= 2 ;

which returned me this error:

ERROR: Unable to identify an operator '*=' for types 'integer[]' and
'integer'
You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Do I have to do something additional to get postgres to recognize the
new *= operator? Did I mess up somewhere along the way? I'm a
relative newbie so please excuse any blatant stupidity. Thanks in
advance.

lchan