Re: Query to get the min of the total

From: "Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina" <oliveiros(dot)cristina(at)marktest(dot)pt>
To: Marta Pérez Romero <martape(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query to get the min of the total
Date: 2012-05-04 10:05:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

have you tried a nested query?
Something like

SELECT petname, MIN(total)
SELECT petname,SUM(quantity) as total
FROM pets a
GROUP BY petname
) x

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marta Pérez Romero
  To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
  Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 10:43 AM
  Subject: [NOVICE] Query to get the min of the total

  Hi All,

  I am trying to do something but cannot find the way.
  Hopefully you have some suggestions :)

  I have two tables, as follows:

  pets: with these columns: petcode, petname, petprice, petfamily
  sales: with these columns: salescode, petcode, quantity

  The pets table contains all the pets in my pet shop, with the code of the pet, its name, its price and the family it belongs to.

  So for example:

  petcode | petname | petprice  | petfamily
  1  | canary | 5.00  | birds
  2  | retriever  | 12.00  | dogs
  3  | siamese  | 28.00  | cats
  4  | sparrow  | 7.00  | birds
  5  | poodle  | 16.00  | dogs

  The sales table tracks all the sales in the shop, with the code of the sale, the code of the pet that was bought, and the quantity of this pet bought.

  For example:

  salescode  | petcode  | quantity
  1  | 1  | 2
  2  | 4  | 5
  3  | 5  | 1
  4  | 2  | 3
  5  | 5  | 8
  6  | 1  | 4

  Now, I need to build a query that returns the least sold pet, in quantity. It will include the pet name and the quantity sold.

  So in the example above it will be:

  petname  | quantity
  retriever | 3

  Now, the problem I have is that I can´t work with nested aggregations.
  First I need to get the total quantity by petcode (which will be the sum of quantity). And then get the MIN of the SUM of quantity, which I don´t know how to do.

  This is the query so far:

  FROM  sales INNER JOIN  pets ON  sales.petcode= pets.petcode

  HAVING SUM(sales.quantity)=(SELECT MIN(quantity) FROM sales)

  ORDER BY  pets.petname;

  But it does not return any result. How can I do it?

  Thanks very much