Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux

From: Christian Cryder <c(dot)s(dot)cryder(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Date: 2005-07-20 20:44:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 7/20/05, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
> I think using the same time zone as the server is the only way to go:

How does this prevent the DST munging issue, where a zoneless time
(eg. 04-03-2005 1:22 AM) is read from the DB and then re-written? What
is to keep it being from being rewritten as 2:22 AM?

> Kris has proposed a patch which would set the servers time zone to
> the JVM when the connection is started

What happens when someone writes a client server app, and one client
connects from timezone A, and another client connects from timezone B,
and the server itself is running in timezone C?

Christian