Re: slow select

From: "Medora Schauer" <mschauer(at)fairfield(dot)com>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "postgresql" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: slow select
Date: 2003-10-22 21:16:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Josh,

> > So why did were the indices not used before when they yield
> a better plan?
>
> Your .conf settings, most likely. I'd lower your
> random_page_cost and raise
> your effective_cache_size.

Increasing effective_cache_size to 10000 did it. The query now
takes 4 secs. I left random_page_cost at the default value of 4.
I thought, mistakenly apparently, that our database was relatively
itty bitty and so haven't messed with the .conf file. Guess I
better take a look at all the settings (I know where the docs are).

Thanks for your help,

Medora

Medora Schauer
Sr. Software Engineer