Re: Problem with character encodings.

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Korumilli, Bala S (GE Healthcare)" <Bala(dot)Korumilli(at)ge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with character encodings.
Date: 2007-08-30 15:39:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, August 30, 2007 16:29, Korumilli, Bala S (GE Healthcare) wrote:

> I also tried inserting the character using its CODE. Characters 176, 186
> for code page 1252. And character 248 for code page 437 .
> And I also tried all the characters from 128 to 255. For all these
> characters, Postgres is giving the same error.

So you also tried sending raw byte values for the UTF-8 character? For
codepoint 176, I think that would be 0xc2 (194) followed by 0xb0 (176, by
pure coincidence).

If that failed as well then it sounds as if the database was not set up as
a Unicode one after all. That's where it get system-specific and I
probably can't help you with it, but it sounds as if your database may
have been set up for ASCII.

> Can you please eloborate on this I could not understand this sentence.
> "The database doesn't expose its encoding IIRC, only its character set.
> So it's possible that that should be Unicode, not UTF-8."

It's only a small point, but IIRC the "encoding" given for a postgres
database set up to support Unicode is normally "Unicode," not "UTF-8."

Jeroen