Re: strange behavior (corruption?) of large production database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange behavior (corruption?) of large production database
Date: 2005-12-02 23:53:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> We have very strange behavior from an internal production database.
> There are multiple symptoms, all pointing to a problem with clusterwide
> tables. For example:

"psql -l" really should produce the same results as doing "\l" in the
template1 database.  Does it?  If so, the next thing to look at is
probably whether the pg_class and pg_attribute entries for pg_database
look the same in template1 and in cyspec.  Similarly you could compare
what pg_shadow looks like from different databases, and what the local
system tables have as entries for it.