Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexandre Leclerc <aleclerc(at)ipso(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation"
Date: 2010-04-16 14:46:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alexandre Leclerc <aleclerc(at)ipso(dot)ca> writes:
> *Background:*
> - PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows Server
> - The customer has disabled regular VACUUM jobs for backup to be taken,
> a year or two ago.
> - They didn't told us (as far as I can remember).
> - Wednesday morning at 10:55:50: database is shut down to avoid
> wraparound data loss in database *db*

> *What has been done:*
> - The message requested a VACUUM FULL so we stopped the postmaster and
> started postgres.exe to launch a VACUUM FULL.

You misread it. You do NOT need a VACUUM FULL here, you should just run
a plain VACUUM (across the whole database, ie not one per table). It
will take a lot less time.

After you get out of this, you really need to do something about
upgrading from 8.1, or else moving the server off Windows. 8.1 on
Windows is unsupported and is full of known problems for that platform.