default_transaction_isolation

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Novice Postgresql-list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: default_transaction_isolation
Date: 2007-03-23 05:21:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am just know comming to grips with the various transaction_isolation level that can be chosen.
I notice that postgresql.conf file comes with 'read committed' pre-set.

I am wondering why is 'read commited' chosen over any of the other isolation levels such as
SERIALIZABLE?

A more generalized question would be, are there any application/RDBMS design considerations to
help determine the best default isolation level?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.