Re: \connect case-folding change maybe not such a good idea

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: \connect case-folding change maybe not such a good idea
Date: 2002-02-21 19:10:05
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
I said:
> I think the wisest course may be to revert to the 7.1 \connect behavior

There is another possibility, which is to migrate to the new behavior
over time.  I like having pg_dump quote the names in \connect, because
that gives us a shot at working with names that have embedded spaces.
We could leave pg_dump as it stands in CVS tip, and modify psql to
work as follows:
	1. Quoted names in \connect are taken as quoted identifiers.
	2. Unquoted names are taken literally (not downcased).
Point 2 would allow forwards compatibility of existing dump files,
while point 1 makes the new pg_dump behavior work.  After a release
or two we could migrate to regular SQL-identifier handling in \connect.

This'd require a little bit of uglification in psql (another option_type
for scan_option()) but it doesn't seem too terribly awful.

Comments?