Re: small psql patch - show Schema name for \dt \dv \dS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: small psql patch - show Schema name for \dt \dv \dS
Date: 2002-07-20 14:14:16
Lists: pgsql-patches
> It sorts on "Schema" first, and "Name" second.

> Sample output:
>                   List of relations
>          Name        |   Schema   | Type |  Owner
> --------------------+------------+------+----------
>   __testpassbyval    | public     | view | postgres
>   fooview            | public     | view | postgres
>   master_pg_proc     | public     | view | postgres
>   rmt_pg_proc        | public     | view | postgres
>   vw_dblink_get_pkey | public     | view | postgres
>   vw_dblink_replace  | public     | view | postgres
>   ts_view            | testschema | view | postgres

It seems rather odd and confusing that the sort order takes the second
column as the major key.  I think that the sort ordering should be
column 1 then 2.  That means either putting the schema column first,
or keeping this column ordering and sorting on relname before schema.
I lean towards the first choice but can see a case for the second.