Re: Syntax got translated

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax got translated
Date: 2012-02-20 20:22:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:15:34 -0300, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Susanne Ebrecht's message of sáb feb 18 18:11:54 -0300
2012:

>> Output in German:
>> i      | integer | not null Vorgabewert nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>>
>> Output in French:
>> i       | integer | non NULL Par défaut, nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>>
>> Output in Spanish:
>> i       | integer | not null valor por omisión
>> nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>>
>> I think that the constraint keyword "DEFAULT" should not be translated
>> here.
>> In my eyes in all cases it should output:
>>
>> i      | integer | not null default nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>
> I'm not clear on this.  I translated it because it seemed sensible, but
> I remember stopping for a minute to consider it.  Maybe if more people
> thinks it should not be translated, we could remove the translatability
> marker from DEFAULT and other stuff like NOT NULL.  I'mnot sure
> however.  Just removing the translations from the existing catalogs is
> not enough, because future versions will just put them back.

I don't see why the modifiers shouldn't be translatable. It's not as if
they were intended to be copied and pasted in a query. They are here to
help the user understand the different modifiers in each column.

-1 to get rid of the translations.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr