Re: Chart of Accounts

From: "Robert Parker" <rlp1938(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Isak Hansen" <isak(dot)hansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Chart of Accounts
Date: 2008-10-15 15:07:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Isak Hansen <isak(dot)hansen(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:57 AM, justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com> wrote:
>> [...] Also you want to split out the debit and credits instead of
>> using one column. Example one column accounting table to track values
>> entered how do you handle Crediting a Credit Account Type. is it a negative
>> or positive entry???
>
> How is crediting a credit account different from crediting any other account?
>
> YMMV, but I think a single amount column makes for a more consistent design.

Absolutely. I worked on computer accounting systems many years ago,
not exactly BC but BPC (Before PC) and such systems had a flag in the
Chart of Accounts records to indicate how to display negative numbers.
The assets and cost records were displayed as recorded and the revenue
and liabilities were negated for display purposes. Naturally offsets
such as credit notes against revenue displayed in the way that humans
expected to read them without any difficulty.
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!