Re: simple example of copying data from a c/c++ array into postgres

From: "Whit Armstrong" <armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jeroen Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple example of copying data from a c/c++ array into postgres
Date: 2008-12-09 17:36:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thanks, Jeroen,

I've used copy before from the prompt. Thanks for alerting me to the
psql functions for it.

can copy be used to append data to a table?

The only reason I'm hesitant to use the copy command is because I
would have to render every row of my data to a string, and 64bit
doubles could mean long strings, formating issues, etc.

roughly what I was thinking was (this is pseudocode):

PGtuple myTuple = createTuple();
myTuple.push_back(toPGDate(myDate));
myTuple.push_back(toPGDouble(myDouble));
etc...

PGinsert_tuple(conn, myDestinationTable, myTuple);

are there facilities to do something like that, or am I really reaching here?

Thanks,
Whit