Re: PATCH(WIP): Printing Support And Save GQB/Explain as an image

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH(WIP): Printing Support And Save GQB/Explain as an image
Date: 2009-11-21 18:51:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Guillaume,

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>wrote:

> Le jeudi 19 novembre 2009 à 09:33:44, Ashesh Vashi a écrit :
>
> You're right in the diagnostics, but your wrong patch is obviously wrong.
> Anyways, I was able to compile (after I finally understood I needed the
> libgnomeprintui library), run, and then test it.

I've mentioned this in the first mail of this thead, that we need to have
libgnomeprintui on linux. :(
And, for the same reason, I've modified the 'xtra/wx-build/build-wxgtk'
file. :)

And it's really a great addition to pgAdmin.

Thanks.

> Two comments:
>
> * the Explain menu for print preview/print/save as image should be disabled
> if
> the explain is not already available (so that the user doesn't get a
> warning
> message telling them they couldn't have the print of the explain).
>
> * I don't like the location and the text of the item "SaveAs image". I
> think
> it would be better to label it "Save As Image" (note the space between Save
> and As). Its location should be just under the "Save As" item, probably
> mixed
> with it (something like:
>
> Save As -> Query (text)
> Explain (image)
> GQB (image)

Sure, I will send ths updated patch soon.

> Anyways, nice work :)

Thanks.

Facing couple of issues, as described below:
1. On OSX (Mac):
- If I see a print preview for any of Query/Explain/GQB, it works
perfectly.
But, when we close the Print-Preview dialog, the query dialog is not
getting enabled.
Something is missing, but I am not able to figure out.
2. On all the platforms:
- If I call the new function updateModelSize(...), when we add new table
to the model.
- In this case, after selecting a table/view from the left size tree
(browser), if I click couple of times (five-six times frequently) , then
pgAdmin3 is crashing.
- I tried to use the mutex/Semaphore, but it was still not working. :(
(For the same reason, I have not added the updateModelSize(...) function,
while creating/deleting a table/view, in this patch)
3. Resolution problem in GQB/Explain (Print/Print-Preview). It does not look
good. The text is fading a little bit.)

Would you please help me on this?

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA - The Enterprise Postgres
Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com/>

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler..." -- Albert
Einstein
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think."
-- Swami Vivekananda