Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: Bill McGonigle <bill(at)bfccomputing(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: stange(at)rentec(dot)com, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>,Joshua Marsh <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org,Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-21 19:58:18
Lists: pgsql-performance
Would it be worth first agreeing on a common set of criteria to
measure?  I see many data points going back and forth but not much
agreement on what's worth measuring and how to measure.

I'm not necessarily trying to herd cats, but it sure would be swell to
have the several knowledgeable minds here come up with something that
could uniformly tested on a range of machines, possibly even integrated
into pg_bench or something.  Disagreements on criteria or methodology
should be methodically testable.

Then I have dreams of a new pg_autotune that would know about these
kinds of system-level settings.

I haven't been on this list for long, and only using postgres for a
handful of years, so forgive it if this has been hashed out before.

-Bill
-----
bill(at)bfccomputing(dot)com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
Jabber: flowerpt(at)gmail(dot)com      Text: bill+text(at)bfccomputing(dot)com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/