Re: Duplicate values found when reindexing unique index

From: "Mason Hale" <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate values found when reindexing unique index
Date: 2007-12-31 22:51:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Tom --
a thousand thanks for taking the time to walk through those files.

This could be the kernel's fault, but I'm wondering whether the
> RAID controller is going south. Offhand it seems like the controller
> would be the only place that would be likely to explain both the
> bogus-data and good-data-in-wrong-place behaviors.

To clarify a bit further -- on the production server, the data is written to
a 10-disk RAID 1+0, but the pg_xlog directory is symlinked to a separate,
dedicated SATA II disk.

There is a similar setup on the standby server, except that in addition to
the RAID for the data, and a separate SATA II disk for the pg_xlog, there is
another disk (also SATA II) dedicated for the archive of wal files copied
over from the production server.

I mention all this because if the problem is the wal files in the pg_xlog
directory becoming corrupted, and those exist on a dedicated disk (not in a
RAID), then doesn't that indicate that the RAID controller is not involved?

Mason