Re: Parallel Query Execution Project

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Li Jie <jay23jack(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parallel Query Execution Project
Date: 2010-09-28 11:17:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Markus Wanner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 09/28/2010 07:24 AM, Li Jie wrote:
>> I'm interested in this parallel project,
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Parallel_Query_Execution
>>
>> But I can't find any discussion and current progress in the website, it
>> seems to stop for nearly a year?
>
> Yeah, I don't know of anybody really working on it ATM.
>
> If you are interested in a process based design, please have a look at
> the bgworker infrastructure stuff. It could be of help for a
> process-based implementation.
>
> Regards
>
> Markus Wanner

yes, i don't know of anybody either.
in addition to that it is more than a giant task. it means working on more than just one isolated part.
practically i cannot think of any stage of query execution which would not need some changes.
i don't see a feature like that within a realistic timeframe.

	regards,

		hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH