Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?
Date: 2007-09-05 18:00:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On 5-Sep-07, at 1:27 PM, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>> Can't you use DBCP or some other open source statement cache
>>> implementation that's in a more mature state?
>>
>> Unfortunately, no.  The benchmark is already out.
>>

> But that benchmark was run with a different caching implementation
> than the wrapper version, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.
> When Sun chose to use unpublished and unreviewed code for the
> benchmark they got themselves in a little bind and I'm not sure
> it's our job to bail them out by publishing and advertising code
> that we're not confident in.  Heikki, Oliver, and myself did not
> believe the code used by Sun in the benchmark was correct in the
> general case so it was rejected for inclusion in the core driver.

So as I understand it the objection to the caching implementation is
that  statement caching belongs in the app server ?

If this is the case then I would argue that having caching in the
appserver is a great idea for everyone using an appserver it does not
help the rest of the world that doesn't use an app server.

Is there a technical argument here ?

Dave