Re: US-ASCII on Mac OS X

From: Perry Smith <pedz(at)easesoftware(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: US-ASCII on Mac OS X
Date: 2004-07-20 20:37:04
Lists: pgsql-ports

I think I understand but wanted to ask a few more questions.

Is any code page like iso-8859-1 or IBM850 different in the range that
US-ASCII covers (from 0x00 to 0x7f)? If that is the case, then gnucash
could change US-ASCII to practically anything.

The other question is about the cilent/server relationship. I'm
assuming that gnucash is the client in this case. It does set the
locale (although it seems to do it incorrectly because eventually the
locale gets blown away -- but thats another problem). But what about
sorting. Is that done in the server or the client? If gnucash does a
select with a order by phrase, the ordering is one in the server,
right?

If so, that would mean that the server needs to be told the proper
encoding since that will effect the sort order.

Is that correct?

Thanks
Perry