RE: WAL feature

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: WAL feature
Date: 2001-04-28 00:41:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Yep, WAL collects all database changes into one file.  Easy to see how
> some other host trying to replication a different host would find the
> WAL contents valuable.

Unfortunately, slave database(s) should be on the same platform
(hardware+OS) to be able to use information about *physical*
changes in data files. Also, this would be still *async* replication.
Maybe faster than rserv, maybe with less space requirements (no rserv'
log table), but maybe not.

I believe that making efforts to implement (bi-directional) *sync*
replication would be more valuable.

Vadim