RE: WAL feature

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'The Hermit Hacker'" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: WAL feature
Date: 2001-04-28 00:20:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Row reuse without vacuum
> >
> > Yes, it will help to remove uncommitted rows.
>
> Same question as I asked Bruce ... how? :) I wasn't trying to be
> fascisious(sp?) when I asked, I didn't realize the two were
> connected and am curious as to how :)

After implementing UNDO operation (we have only REDO now)
transactions will roll back their changes on abort and so
free space occupied by inserted rows.

How to re-use freed space (ie how to maintain information about
blocks available for insertion of new rows) is another issue,
of course, but anyway - space must be freed first.

Vadim