RE: Talkative initdb, elog message levels

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Talkative initdb, elog message levels
Date: 2000-11-22 22:06:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I assume you're talking about this DEBUG stuff:

> Creating directory /home/postgres/testversion/data/pg_xlog
> Creating template1 database in /home/postgres/testversion/data/base/1
> DEBUG: starting up
> DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2000-11-22 14:38:01

I had to add StartupXLOG call when bootstraping to handle OIDs
correctly.

> Not sure whether we should change any code or not. I don't much like
> the idea of having initdb send stderr to /dev/null, for example.
> Perhaps StartupXLOG could be made a little less chatty, however?

I considered messages during database system startup/shutdown as having
higher interest/priority than regular debug messages. Some if()
wouldn't be bad, probably.

> BTW, Vadim, what is the reasoning for your having invented aliases
> STOP and LOG for elog levels REALLYFATAL and DEBUG? I think it's
> confusing to have more than one name for the same severity level.
> If we're going to open up the issue of renaming the elog levels to
> something saner, there are a whole bunch of changes to be undertaken,
> and these aren't the names I'd choose anyway ...

Well, as stated above I would think about XLOG (maybe some others?)
messages as about something different from debug ones. Look at syslog -
there are NOTICE & INFO logging levels, not just DEBUG.

As for STOP - there was no REALLYFATAL at the time I started XLOG codding
(> year ago)... Anyway, I like STOP more than REALLYFATAL -:) But wouldn't
insist on this name.

Vadim