Re: postgres server crashes unexpectedly

From: "Chadwick Horn" <chadhorn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres server crashes unexpectedly
Date: 2008-03-18 15:48:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

> "Chadwick Horn" <chadhorn(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I keep getting this error:
>
>> Attempting reset: WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of
>> another server process
>
> It looks to me like psql is managing to start a new connection before
> the postmaster notices the crash of the prior backend and tells
> everybody to get out of town. Which is odd, but maybe not too
> implausible if your kernel is set up to favor interactive processes over
> background --- it'd likely think psql is interactive and the postmaster
> isn't.

Is there a way to disable this or to make both interactive and/or
background?

>> What could be doing this? It just started out of the blue... I reindexed
>> the
>> index it mentioned and it seems to error out more...
>
> If you reindexed only the last-mentioned index, then you reindexed the
> wrong thing; it presumably died on the next index of story_member.
> I'd reindex the whole table rather than guess which that is.
>
> You should also consider the not-zero probability that you have more
> than one corrupted index. Keep reindexing tables until you can get
> through a database-wide VACUUM.

I have VACUUM'd it until it's fibers are coming out. It seems to crash at
various places (which, most likely, would be resolved if question #1 above
is possible) and holds no consistancy. The error logs provide even fewer
clues than the verbose output.

-chadwick