Failed install of PostgreSQL v8.2.4 - initdb fails with Access is denied

From: "Hyatt, Gordon" <Gordon(dot)Hyatt(at)joslin(dot)harvard(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Failed install of PostgreSQL v8.2.4 - initdb fails with Access is denied
Date: 2007-06-01 14:38:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm not sure if this is the correct list for this question, but here goes.

I downloaded and tried to install v8.2.4 on my Win2000 SP4 machine at home and received and Access is Denied error message during the initdb phase. Copying the files and setting permissions seemed to run properly (no errors).

The first thing I checked was that the user I was logged in as was still a member of the local administrators group (it is - reading through the install log shows isAdmin=1, IIRC).

The next thing I thought was that I had entered the wrong password for the PostgreSQL service login - so I reran the install letting it create a new user for me. The install got to the same point (initdb) and failed with the same message.

The next thing I thought was perhaps file system/disk errors - the Windows disk check returned no problems and the defragmenter completed normally.

I've saved a copy of the installation log (on my home machine) if necessary.

There is a version of 8.1.3 on this system (on port 5432). I know (and is reported in the logs) that I used port 5433 for the v8.2.4 install (a usual practice for me when upgrading to new versions - parallel install on different port then dg_dump the old version and pg_restore into the new).

Any ideas of what went wrong?

BTW, the same install package installed on my WinXP laptop without issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gord