pg_dump estimation

From: Marcelo Martins <pglists(at)zeroaccess(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump estimation
Date: 2008-06-25 04:13:14
Lists: pgsql-general

is there a way to find out / calculate / estimate how big a pg_dump
using plain text format for a DB will be ?
I have this system with a 7.4 version and a DB that is over 60GB and I
know that the admins have never done a vacuum there.
The system only has about 20GB of free space so I don't want to take
any chances of filling up the disk due to a pg_dump you know.

thanks,

Marcelo
Linux/Solaris System Administrator
pglists(at)zeroaccess(dot)org