LIMIT question

From: "EXT-Rothermel, Peter M" <Peter(dot)M(dot)Rothermel(at)boeing(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: LIMIT question
Date: 2008-08-19 20:58:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

I need to use a LIMIT count in a query but I also need to know how many
rows the query itself would yield without the limit.
I can do this inside a transaction like this

BEGIN
SELECT COUNT(*) from table1 where blah;
select * from table1 where blah LIMIT 1000;
COMMIT

Now I can give some feedback like your search matches 200,000 but was
limited to 1000 items.
Is there a better way to accomplish this goal?