Re: Backup/disaster recovery and bandwidth (long)

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Scott Whitney <swhitney(at)journyx(dot)com>, Scott Whitney <scott(at)journyx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup/disaster recovery and bandwidth (long)
Date: 2012-04-25 17:23:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Apr 25, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Scott Whitney wrote:

> I believe, then, that when I restart server #3 (the standby who is replicating), he'll say "oh, geez, I was down, let me catch up on all that crap that happened while I was out of the loop," he'll replay the WAL files that were written while he was down, and then he'll catch back up.
>
> Does this sound like a viable option? Or does someone have additional suggestions?

Perfectly viable. However, the WAL files must exist for this to happen. So you need to set wal_keep_segments appropriately, or set up WAL archiving.

Note that you could even provide a more up-to-date database for your people to work with. If the testbed is nearly up to date, then an rsync to update it would take very little time. So you could shut down the replica, rsync, and bring the replica back up.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com