Re: query log corrupted-looking entries

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query log corrupted-looking entries
Date: 2007-06-02 18:32:57
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
> "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com> writes:
> > ... Also redirect_stderr = on.
>
> Hm.  Well, that's the bit that ought to get you into the PIPE_BUF
> exception.  There's been some speculation that a change like the
> attached would help.  I've found that it makes no difference with
> my libc, but maybe yours is different --- want to try it?

I will. I may need some time though, since I first need to find a way to
reproduce the problem reliably on my test environments and right now I
cannot seem to. I have seen the problem mostly under production loads
(also under certain kinds of stress-testing, but I forget exactly which
kind...)

In the meantime I went and looked at the logs in more detail and the
corrupted entries seem much more prevalent than what I originally
thought. Apart from the ones pgfouine complains about there are many
more such lines. For example out of a (average-load) day's log file with
17+ million lines pgfouine complains about 8 lines, but there are in
fact 1400+ lines with these kinds of entries.

George