Re: query log corrupted-looking entries

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query log corrupted-looking entries
Date: 2007-06-01 21:55:41
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
> "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com> writes:
> > On 5/29/2007 10:19 AM, Ed L. wrote:
> >> FWIW, I've also been seeing this sort of query log corruption for
> >> as long as I can remember, 7.1 through 8.2, HPUX (parisc, ia64),
> >> Linux on intel, amd...
>
> What *exactly* is the logging setup you guys use, and have you tried
> alternatives?

Have not tried many alternatives as I am using Pgfouine and it is fairly
rigid re. the log format it expects. As I had originally posted my
logging setup is:

> the relevant config settings are (show all | grep ' log_' output):
>
>  log_connections                 | on
>  log_destination                 | stderr
>  log_directory                   | pg_log
>  log_disconnections              | on
>  log_duration                    | on
>  log_error_verbosity             | default
>  log_executor_stats              | off
>  log_filename                    | postgresql-%a-%H.log
>  log_hostname                    | off
>  log_line_prefix                 | %t [%p]: [%l-1]
>  log_min_duration_statement      | -1
>  log_min_error_statement         | panic
>  log_min_messages                | notice
>  log_parser_stats                | off
>  log_planner_stats               | off
>  log_rotation_age                | 60
>  log_rotation_size               | 0
>  log_statement                   | all
>  log_statement_stats             | off
>  log_truncate_on_rotation        | on

Also redirect_stderr = on. Let me know if there are any other config
settings that might be important.

I am currently on: "PostgreSQL 8.1.8 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu,
compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)", but this
has happened with other 8.1.* versions and Ed L. indicates with other
major versions.

This happens even with very short messages (definitely less than 4096
bytes) -- I had pasted some examples originally; it does not seem to be
related to message/query length.

George