Re: VoIP recommendations

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: "SF PostgreSQL" <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VoIP recommendations
Date: 2007-01-18 20:23:45
Lists: sfpug
since it seems that we have permanently changed the subject matter of
the list (:-), let me give an important word of warning: DO NOT get
voice (or any kind of service) from earthlink. i currently have their
bundled IP phone and DSL service and while a good bargain (~$50/mo) and
working decently since established, the switchover to them was a
month-plus-long nightmare of lies, incompetence, etc. (i was without ANY
phone service for >2 weeks when they said it would take "a couple of
hours" to switchover). they could never figure anything out! average
hold times approaching 20+ minutes (i am not kidding). i am only still
with them because i don't have the energy to spend another minute with
them to initiate a switch. their "technical support" (even at 2nd, 3rd
levels of escalation) is only trained to "be nice", but is amazingly
clueless. huge contrast with speakeasy where even first-line reps are
always totally capable and empowered (i think most of the time they sit
in front of a linux shell window!) -- if you can afford it (and it can
be double or triple the earthlink rates), speakeasy is the way to go...

george