Re: pgAdmin corrupts pgpass.conf on windows

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin corrupts pgpass.conf on windows
Date: 2006-05-15 23:51:12
Lists: pgadmin-support

> If you remove your file altogether and just let pgAdmin manage it
> itself, does it then corrupt it as well?

I tried that for a bit a while ago and I did not see any corruption, but
I am not sure my tests were exhaustive. The problem is that that is
really not a solution for me because I want to be able to have many more
server/port/user/password combinations stored in there for psql/script
purposes than the few that I need for pgAdmin. For a while I thought
that my comment lines (starting with #) were confusing pgAdmin but it
seems to do the rearranging with or without comments in there. Another
workaround would be to never let pgAdmin store passwords -- that does
help although pgAdmin still seems to touch the file (it does not mess it
up as bad). If I have to I would take this approach because for my
purposes psql scripts/pg_dump/pg_restore are primary to pgAdmin. I was
just hoping for a way for the two to coexist peacefully (and also to be
able to reuse my Linux .pgpass on Windows).

> What characterset/locale etc. does your copy of Windows run in?

Don't know which of the many locale-related Windows settings you are
interested in but this is a Win XP Pro ver 2002 SP2 with the most
standard default English/US settings that have not been messed with
since it came from the factory. Under "Regional and Language Options"
under "Standards and formats" it says "English (United States)", under
Location it says "United States", under "Language for non-Unicode
programs" it says "English (United States)", etc. Let me know if there
is some registry or env variable that would be helpful.