JDBC4 and JDK 1.6

From: "Nathan Sullins" <nsullins(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Stephen Ripley" <SRipley(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
Subject: JDBC4 and JDK 1.6
Date: 2010-11-09 23:26:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my company's JDK to 1.6 and have a few
questions about the recommended JDBC driver. The Postgres JDBC site
suggests using the latest (9.0-801) JDBC4 driver with JDK 1.6. However
the site also mentions some not so inspiring comments on the latest
driver including "Support for JDBC4 methods is limited. The driver
builds, but the several of the new methods are stubbed out". This makes
me wonder how worthy of an upgrade it is, since the driver's only been
production ready for less than 2 months and doesn't fully implement the
JDBC4 interface.

Of the new JDBC4 features I'm most excited about the enhanced exception
handling and XML support, given this, can anyone please provide a
meaningful reason why I should upgrade the driver? What if any are the
known bugs associated with the latest JDBC4 driver and what
functionality in particular is stubbed out?

Thanks in advance,

nathan