PostgreSQL DBA (San Francisco, CA, USA)

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL DBA (San Francisco, CA, USA)
Date: 2008-05-06 21:05:15
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Somehow this one did not go through last week when I tried to post here.
Trying again, apologies if for anyone this is a duplicate.

MyNewPlace.com is growing...

...and our databases are feeling the pain. If you are a DBA with a
couple years or more of PostgreSQL experience (we're running 8.1 now)
then we have an excellent opportunity for you. You'll work with an
exceptional team, have a pivotal role in scaling our operations, and
will have a chance to contribute significantly to the continuing growth
of our business.

Position:

The Database Administrator will primarily be responsible for the
performance, reliability, and scalability of the Postgres databases that
power MyNewPlace.com and related sites. He/she will collaborate with the
IT team to implement and refine operational processes like local and
remote replication, backup, failover, etc., establish optimal hardware
and database tuning profiles, and monitor overall database health and
performance. He/she will also work with the Development team on database
design and schema changes, contribute significantly to performance
initiatives like table partitioning, and will perform ongoing query
optimization.

Primary Role and Responsibilities:

* Ensure performance and scalability of PostgreSQL databases;
* Implement, refine and maintain database replication and failover;
* Install, tune and monitor Postgres database instances;
* Develop, refine and monitor recurring database jobs/scripts;
* Participate in database design for new features/functionality;
* SQL and PL/pgSQL coding;
* Query analysis and optimization; and
* Data import and data migration.

Depending on skills, interest, and experience, other activities might
include:

* Database load/stress/performance testing;
* Data warehouse development and support;
* Geospatial data manipulation; and
* Scraping, spidering, and other forms of loosely structured data
collection.

Required Skills and Experience:

* A bachelor's degree in a related field is highly desired;
* Minimum 2 years of direct PostgreSQL experience (including
replication, partitioning, high availability);
* At least 5 years experience with enterprise RDBMSs;
* Attention to detail and a high level of personal responsibility for
the quality of your work;
* Ability to take over and "own" your projects;
* Self-motivation with a strong work ethic;
* Inquisitiveness, ability to seek out and resolve problems
preemptively;
* Good interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent
spoken and written English;
* Linux/UNIX proficiency;
* Superior SQL/stored function/procedure skills;
* Query optimization, performance tuning; and
* Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

Additional valuable skills and experience:

* 1 or more years of work on high volume consumer web sites
* Familiarity with OLAP reporting solutions, preferably open-source
ones;
* Experience with ETL tools; and
* Experience with PostGIS and/or geospatial data in general.

As with any startup, he/she will be expected to function well in a team
environment and be prepared to assist in all aspects of the business,
not just their areas of primary responsibility. We are looking for the
right person who can grow and take over various responsibilities as the
need arises, rather than just perform a specific set of tasks.
Communication skills, written and verbal, are essential to success in
this position given the fast pace of our work and the need to quickly
and effectively communicate and resolve technical issues.

Company:

MyNewPlace.com is a new pay for performance Internet Listing Service
(ILS) founded by members of the former senior management team of
AllApartments/SpringStreet, the leading apartment search service on the
internet before it was sold to HomeStore in July of 1999. The service is
designed to assist apartment property owners in leasing their apartment
buildings to tenants who can search for and compare available rentals on
its web site. Prospective tenants are able to access the site free of
charge via the Internet, and are eligible to earn a rebate when they
rent from properties that pay an advertising fee to MyNewPlace.
MyNewPlace is located in downtown San Francisco.

Compensation:

Competitive base salary, benefits and may include stock options with the
potential for significant equity upside. Please submit salary
requirements.

Contact:

Principals ONLY, no agencies, recruiters, or outsourcing firms please.
Please email cover letter and resume with salary requirements to
gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com(dot)