Error: ClassNotFoundException

From: Craig Lawton <craiglawton(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error: ClassNotFoundException
Date: 2001-10-27 03:34:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello All,

I'm a fairly experienced developer, however, a complete newbie when it
comes to using PostgreSQL and JDBC. I have successfully installed
PostgreSQL on my Mac G4 running Mac OS X 10.1. I'm able to start the DB
daemon (with -i extension), I've created and populated a database (can
query the database, etc.). When I installed PostgreSQL, I created a
user account named "postgres" on my computer, and start the DB daemon
while logged onto that account (in a console window after logging into
the postgres account using 'su - postgres'). I've downloaded the
pre-compliled jdbc7.1-1.1.jar JDBC driver. I put the JDBC driver file
in /usr/local/pgsql/share/java. I've been trying to use JDBC to connect
to a database and started with Marc Liyanage's example source file.
When I try and run the executable after compilation I get an error.
Specifically, the line of code in
"Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");" returns the error
"java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.postgresql.Driver". I'm at a bit
of a loss. Do I have to register the JDBC driver? If I do, how do I do
that? Could this be because the PostgreSQL daemon is running from a
different account than I am running the JDBC test application from? Did
I put the JDBC driver in the wrong directory?

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Craig Lawton