Re: DBD::PostgreSQL

From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
To: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
Cc: <dbi-dev(at)perl(dot)org>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DBD::PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-11-18 18:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 09:55  AM, Rudy Lippan wrote:

> I don't know what would be worse: Always having a transaction open
> when I
> am not in automcommit mode, and knowing about it, or having to worry
> whether I am in transaction because of some stmt that I or some other
> module issued (Including DBD::Pg).

I think that we could probably prevent the driver's statements from
interfering with that, particularly if they're performed in dbdimp.c
rather than in Pg.pm.

> I look at it this way... make it simple and bullet-proof and then
> optimize
> if needed.

Right.

> Is that not what prepare_cached is for? One should only be preping
> the statement once anyway, right?

Right. I wasn't sure if that was already happening or not -- I haven't
got that far in the code yet. :-)

> And the statement gets parsed twice by DBD::Pg. One time in prepare and
> One time in execute (for the substitution of parameters).

Right, although if we can add support for true prepared statements, we
could eliminate the second parsing.

> Missed the q3.
>
> PREPARE plan_name [ (datatype [, ...] ) ] AS  query
>
> I guess I read that as (datatype) being optional... I guess it is only
> optional if there are no $1 &c. in the query, then.

Right, unfortunately true -- for now, anyway.

Regards,

David

david(at)wheeler(dot)net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory(at)jabber(dot)org