Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "\"Richard Broersma\"" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling connection pooling by default
Date: 2008-10-16 08:56:52
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Craig,

>> Maybe TCP_KEEPALIVE can fix this but I havent found any inforamtion about
>> its usage with PostgreSQL.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-connection.html

Thank you for reply.

I'm sorry I was not clear. The part of
"On systems that support the*"  in referenced documentation confuces me.

Windows clients use Windwses starting at Windows 98.
Servers are modern Linux, Free/NetBSD and Windows computers starting at
Windows XP.
Connections are made over public internet, clients are connecting to 5432
port in server.

Will TCP_KEEP* options work wihout issure in this configuraton?.
If I create production application which relies on TCP_KEEP* settings will
this work OK?
Can TCP_KEEP* blocked by ISP or by routers/ADSL/GPRS modems ?
I'm asking so because there was recently message in npgsql mailing list that
TCP_KEEP* are not working.
I tried google little but havent found any information about using those
options to resolve idle
connection kill issue in configuraton above.

Andrus.