Re: Creating a VIEW with a POINT column

From: "Gregory Williamson" <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com>
To: "Nick" <nboutelier(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating a VIEW with a POINT column
Date: 2008-06-26 01:34:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nick wrote:

> I have a VIEW that consists of two tables, of which contain a POINT
> column. When trying to select from the view I get an error...
>
> ERROR: could not identify an ordering operator for type point
> HINT: Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query.
>
> Any suggestions??? -Nick

I'm a lurker on this list (came for the 8.3 release, stayed for the delightful banter), but I have noticed that seems to be a real issue, at least for the moment.

Not trying to be snotty, but perhaps using postGIS <http://postgis.refractions.net/> would be a suitable alternate ? It does require admin rights to install but the point does have an equality op, GIST indexing and is reasonably light-weight in disk space.

Ok, you probably already rejected this for good reason ... back to the real thread.

Apologies for the signage below ...

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)