Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?

From: "Gregory Williamson" <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Tom Hart" <tomhart(at)coopfed(dot)org>
Cc: "Glyn Astill" <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?
Date: 2008-01-31 06:51:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian said:

> Tom Hart wrote:
> > I definitely think that the lists are one of the shining stars for
> > postgresql support. I've learned some good reference stuff from online
> > docs/google but the really tricky questions were only answered here, and
> > amazingly enough, quickly and with good humor. Perhaps what we really
> > need is somebody to comb through the archives looking for common
> > problems or exceptional solutions and compile them into a "book".
>
> The good and bad news is that the best way to do things often changes
> from release to release, hence the need to get the most current
> information from the mailing lists.

Although I have solved almost every problem I have come up against in learning, partly with archives, I've often had to resort to asking the list because finding relevant missives in the archives can be hard if you don't know what month to look at, and even then the search results can produce a lot incidental wanderings to get to the solutions.

It seems that some intermediate ground (TWIKI or a document in some format) might help with some of these questions, perhaps with sections based on release.

Personally, I found it very hard to get going with PL/pgSQL based on existing documentation; an older book on PostgreSQL had enough examples that I got over that hump and can usually find my way now with the documentation, lists and archives.

My $0.02 (inflating ? devalued 'cause it's US currency ?) ...

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company