unix domain sockets on Windows.

From: Jeff Rule <Jeffrey(dot)Rule(at)demandtec(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: unix domain sockets on Windows.
Date: 2012-01-01 01:06:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Does the postgres server support listening on unix domain sockets on windows? It seems to me that they do not, but this is not called out directly in the documentation.

Listen_address in postgresql.conf

listen_addresses = '' # what IP address(es) to listen on;
# comma-separated list of addresses;
# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
# (change requires restart)

The online documentation for listen_address is not specific about whether windows does or does not support unix-domain sockets.

In pg_hba.conf documentation for local connections (unix domain sockets) we see the following

local
This record matches connection attempts using Unix-domain sockets. Without a record of this type, Unix-domain socket connections are disallowed.

Basically I am wondering if the postgres code substitutes some other windows facility for this functionality.

We do see some notes that certain related parameters (unix_socket_directory (string), unix_socket_group (string), unix_socket_permissions (integer)) are not supported on windows but nothing with the basic configuration information.

I have tried to start a server with this configuration an received the following error..

pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
2011-12-31 16:35:38 PST FATAL: no socket created for listening
server starting

Just looking for a definatative yes or no if this configuration is supported.

Get Connected.
Save the Date for DemandBetter 2012
June 11-13 | San Francisco
www.demandtec.com/db12

DemandTec Email Notice
This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information and is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not
the intended recipient we request that you notify us via email or telephone and
delete all copies of the message from your systems. Additionally, although
DemandTec has taken reasonable precautions to ensure the security of this
email and any attachments, we encourage you to take similar precautions and
accept no liability for any loss or damage resulting from its use.

DemandTec, 1 Franklin Parkway, Building 910, San Mateo, CA 94403-1906, 650-645-7100