Re: Fw: Case Insensitive Test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chad R(dot) Larson" <chad(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Donald Fraser <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>, "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fw: Case Insensitive Test
Date: 2003-09-26 05:17:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Chad R. Larson" <chad(at)eldocomp(dot)com> writes:
> I suspect that among the conformance switches, you can find a combination
> you like:

I've been through them. None of 'em turn off // comments. Or #-sign
preprocessor assertions, or a few other post-ANSI-C inventions.
(Hell, preprocessor assertions aren't in C99 either.)

> Also, look at the warning options "-pedantic" and "-pedantic-errors".

As the GCC folks advise, those are useful only for pedants. I'm not
interested in pedantry, but portability. I don't think the GCC guys
really care about backwards compatibility to old compilers ... which
is surely their right, but it's kind of a problem for those of us
who'd like to maintain portable application code.