Re: [HACKERS] Backend sent 0x45 type while idle

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Trever Adams <trever_Adams(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Backend sent 0x45 type while idle
Date: 1999-05-31 15:12:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Trever Adams <trever_Adams(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> did a pgdump of the database (cannot remember command line options...
> data and schema I remember that much).  I then loaded it into a newly
> created database on the new machine.

> I get the error above (or something VERY similar...).

When exactly?  While trying to reload the pg_dump script, or during
subsequent usage of the database?

> I have posted a
> bug report, but I want to know what the heck the message really means.
> What is type 0x45?  Does this mean my app has a problem or?

It's probably a symptom of a backend bug :-(.  It means that libpq
wasn't expecting a backend message when it got one.  0x45 = 'E' which
would be the start of an Error message, which ordinarily shouldn't be
emitted except in response to a frontend query.  Try looking in the
postmaster log --- the error message should be logged there as well.
Knowing what the backend is trying to tell us would be helpful...

Another possibility is that the frontend and backend got out of sync,
which is particularly likely during COPY commands --- does your pg_dump
script use COPY or INSERT to reload data into tables?

Next:From: Horak DanielDate: 1999-05-31 15:18:55