Re: A bunch of minor issues

From: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jwa(at)wahlstedt(dot)fi>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: A bunch of minor issues
Date: 2007-09-26 11:48:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On 26.9.2007, at 14.26, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Dave Page
>> As you know I work in OS X and Windows most of the time and I know
>> there
>> are no sizing issues there in English. Is this something specific to
>> running in Finnish (should that be Fin?), or GTK do you think?

FI (or fi) should be enough (I am not sure, what you are looking for).

> Finnish texts do tend to more longer than English. It's not a
> problem in
> most places, but for example "Rename" in the favourites manager is
> translated to "NimeƤ uudelleen", which is quite a bit longer. If we
> just
> made the space reserved for the button bigger, it would look quite
> silly
> in English I think. But as it is, the button is partly underneath the
> "Remove" button.

That translation is a literal one. If something has a name already,
"NimeƤ" could be enough, it means then rename?! This is a suggestion
only, and the problem remains, some translations are bound to be
longish, in the user interface controls that will be difficult.
!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386