Experts vs do-it-yourselfers

From: nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Experts vs do-it-yourselfers
Date: 2005-12-04 17:07:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

Bear with me just a moment. I am brevity challenged.

My wife wants to do some serious remodeling of our
kitchen. I have a hammer, some nails, a screwdriver
and a lawnmower. I received a "C" in 7th grade shop,
which is when I believe my talents for carpentry
peaked.

Do it myself -- or get a professional?

My generalized suggestion (a bit tongue-in-cheek) --
PR (for release)

"PostgreSQL (Advocacy) Group today grudgingly
acknowledged that PostgreSQL is the world's best
Open Source object relational database. The
Elephant trumpeted, "Our ability to effectively
market my enormous strengths has been lacking. I am
now seeking the advise, guidance and support of a
professional Marketing/Public Relations firm that
will enable me to become the database of choice for
individuals, small, medium and large businesses
around the world. The firm that is chosen will be
compensated with significant, ongoing publicity. And
a T-shirt. Interested Marketing/PR firms should
contact (dot)(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)(dot)(dot)(dot)(dot)"

I have only been on this list for a couple of weeks
and certainly have NOT earned the right to be
critical. Many people have done their best. But I
can't help but feeling like we are trying to remodel
the kitchen with a lawnmower.

I suggest throwing a trial balloon out there and see
if some real marketing pro's (preferably
International) grab it. Being able to say that
PostgreSQL is a "success story" is much like
PostgreSQL saying "XYZ (insert Monster company) is a
happy user". Wouldn't surprise me to see users
increase by 5x over the course of a full,
implemented year.

Thanks,
Mike E.