Re: ALTER TYPE 0: Introduction; test cases

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TYPE 0: Introduction; test cases
Date: 2011-01-16 17:07:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
>> Do you value test coverage so little?

> If you're asking whether I think real-world usability is more
> important than test coverage, then yes.

Quite honestly, I'd be inclined to rip out most of the DEBUG messages I
see in that regression test altogether.  They are useless, and so is the
regression test itself.  An appropriate regression test would involve
something more like checking that the relfilenode changed and then
checking that the contained data is still sane.