Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library
Date: 2008-01-31 16:22:17
Lists: pgsql-docs
> I disagree.  I think PQinitSSL is meant to be called from the
> application, for example.  Same with PQsetClientEncoding.  And the
> PQExpBuffer stuff is all very useful, and years ago when I wrote an app
> to use it it annoyed me that there were no docs on it.  (Back then, I
> didn't realize I could have complained about it or written the docs
> myself).

PQinitSSL *is* documented, though looking at the para immediately raises
the question what the heck we are doing pointing to a random hp.com page
for SSL documentation.

PQsetClientEncoding seems to be documented in the wrong place.

As for the expbuffer stuff, that is intentionally not considered part of
libpq's exported API.  If someone uses it, they get to keep both parts
when it breaks.